Diabetes is one of the leading causes of mortality in the world. It refers to a series of conditions in which glucose levels remain high in the blood. There are 3 types of diabetes:
- Type 1
- Refers to when the body has the inability to produce insulin.
- Requires ongoing medical management involving insulin injections
- Type 2
- Refers to when the body becomes resistant to producing insulin
- This is due to dietary and lifestyle factors
- Refers to diabetes that occurs during pregnancy
- Normally settle after giving birth
There is no cure for type 2 diabetes however it CAN be managed between your doctor, physiotherapist and exercise physiologist. It is all about the right advice regarding your diet and maintaining an active lifestyle to prevent further complications.